Top 5 Best Things About ACA:
- Children can no longer be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions. Starting in 2014, ADULTS can no longer be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions. Also, being a woman is no longer a pre-existing condition.
- People can stay on their parents' insurance up to age 26 (I definitely could have used this when I was fresh out of college and badly underemployed).
- It encourages a paradigm shift to PREVENTATIVE care (you know, addressing things before people have big, expensive, intractable chronic disease type problems) by making many preventative wellness services free.
- Health insurance companies are now required to spend 80% of their revenue providing, you know, HEALTH CARE. Think that sounds extreme? Would you give to a charity that spent more than 20% on overhead?
- You no longer have a lifetime limit on coverage. Think that's not a major issue? Medical costs and issues cause over 50% of personal bankruptcies.